Bad password error - samba 2.0.5a, Solaris 2.7

Toby Blake toby at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Tue Aug 24 14:20:27 GMT 1999

Hello all,

For quite a while now we've been running a samba 1.9.16p10 server,
providing file shares, etc for PCs.  We're installing a new file
server tomorrow so I thought I would take this opportunity of
upgrading to a new version of samba.  I've downloaded, compiled and
installed the latest version (2.0.5a) on the new fileserver (Solaris
2.7) and all seemed OK until I try and connect to the server using a
password.

I can do 'smbclient -L server -N' (no password) OK, but if I try and
do this, or any other operation, e.g. connecting to the [tmp] share
and entering a password then I will get a Bad password error:

maclaren% /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L maclaren -Utoby
Added interface ............
Password:
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

The logs (debug level 10) don't really seem to give much away:

[1999/08/24 15:00:53, 4] passdb/pass_check.c:pass_check(792)
  Checking password for user toby (l=8)
[1999/08/24 15:00:53, 3] smbd/error.c:error_packet(138)
  error packet at line 840 cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX) eclass=2 ecode=2
[1999/08/24 15:00:53, 3] smbd/error.c:error_packet(143)
  error string = No such file or directory

...it certainly looks like the username/password is failing but
doesn't really help with the details.

The smb.conf file contains very little at the moment - it sets
security to user, adds interfaces and sets other minor details (paths
of log files, etc.)  I am not using encrypted passwords.

One thing that did occur to me is that the old samba server currently
runs on the machine that is our NIS+ master, whereas the new file
server (where the new version of samba runs) is no NIS+ master.
Reading docs, etc. it didn't seem that this would be a problem - is
it?  How exactly does samba go about authenticating a password?  Will
it use NIS+ if that's what that machine is configured for?

Can anyone offer advice on what might be happening, or how I could
investigate further?

Many thanks for any help in solving this problem.  Please CC any
replies to toby at cogsci.ed.ac.uk.

Thanks
Toby Blake
University of Edinburgh