Samba / NT / Win98 and Browsing

Jon Earle jsearle at home.com
Tue Aug 24 04:26:00 GMT 1999

Hey all,

Our scenario is hopefully quite simple.  A client has a MS Small Business
Server and about 6-8 Win98 clients.  There are also two SCO v5 boxes, which
are running samba 2.0.3 (the precompiled version).  From the NT box, we can
see the SCO servers, but from the Win98 boxes, the SCO servers are not
visible.  Samba is configured to register its name with the NT WINS server,
and I'd like to keep the NT box providing name services (it also provides
DNS for the LAN, which looks up client names within the WINS database if
not found within the local DNS tables).  Samba is configured to simply
provide share level access to the data (the network is not such that mega
security is required, hence the shares just have empty passwords to make
connections easier).

What do I need to do to have the SCO servers show up in network
neighbourhood on the Win98 clients?

TIA!!
Jon
---
Jon Earle

"You can never burn out as long as you're doing what you enjoy.  When it
stops being fun, then you burn out.  And I'm still having fun."

"...plot proceeds from character...it's from defining who the character is,
what he wants, how far he's willing to go to get it, and how far someone
else will go to stop him.  From that comes all the rest."

                      -- J. Michael Straczynski, creator Babylon 5