Jet Direct Printers and Plotters

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Sun Aug 22 19:13:37 GMT 1999

"Florian v. Behr" <fvbehr at gmx.net> wrote:
> We have a HP Design Jet 650C Plotter which is hooked to the net via a
> jetdirect nic. Now I dont have a clue on how to use this plotter over
> the net. It doesent show up in the network neighborhood and I cant find
> anything about jetdirect plotters in the Linux documentation or the
> inet. The server is running Suse Linux 6.2 and Samba 2.05a.

>From a Windows PC, install the HP JetAdmin software from www.hp.com:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/prodhome/hpjetadmin7644.html.
Then the printer will show up in Network Neighborhood.

On a UNIX box, use the JetDirect card's emulation of the Berkeley
lpd printer protocol (remote-printer=DNS-name, device=raw)
Read the HP JetDirect manual for further details.

Ole H. Nielsen
Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark,
Building 307, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark