Samba and NT4 SP3: no write access

Andreas Vester vester at inetmail.de
Fri Aug 20 18:34:01 GMT 1999

Hi everybody!

I'm an absolute Linux newbie and I've got some problems with my LAN.
I've got two machines at home. On the one machine is Win98/SuSE Linux 6.1
and on the other is Win NT4 SP3. My network from Win98 to Win NT is perfect.
Both machines have the function of a file server, that means that I can use
the Win NT harddisk from the Win98 machine and the other way round. No
problems. Now I decided to test Linux and I want the same network functions
like under windows. So I installed Linux parallel to Win98. This was no
problem, too. Then I installed Samba 2.0.3 and tried to configure the smb.conf.
There the problems begins...
In Linux I created two users: my father and me (my father normaly use the NT
machine). My first aim is that the Linux machine becomes a file server so
that my father can use my harddisk. When I log in to Win NT with the same
user name I created under Linux, I can browse to the users home directory.
This is all right. But I don't have any write access.

Here's my smb.conf (without any comments):
Most of the lines were created automatically by the setup program.

[global]
    workgroup = privat
    guest account = nobody
    keep alive = 30
    os level = 2
    public = yes
    security = share

    printing = bsd
    printcap = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes

    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    map to guest = Bad User
    interfaces = 192.168.0.1/255.255.255  {comment: 192.168.0.1 =
Linux machine    192.168.0.2 = NT machine}
    wins support = yes

[homes]
    comment = Heimatverzeichnis
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    writeable = yes
    create mode = 0750

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    browseable = yes
    printable = yes
    public = no
    read only = no
    create mode = 0700
    directory = /tmp

Another question: If I delete the line "public = yes" in the global-section
I haven't got any access from the NT machine to the home directory. It
appears a dialog box where I had to log in with a user name and a password.
If I try to log in with the same user name like I created under Linux it
appears an error message of the form: "You can't log in from this machine".
Can you explain this to me ?

My second problem is that I don't see the Linux machine in the NT network
neighborhood. I configured samba as a WINS Server and specify the Linux machine's IP-address on the NT machine, but it doesn't
work. What have I done wrong ?

Please give me step by step instructions (in easy English, because I'm German) how I get full write access and how I can see the Linux machine in
the network neighborhood.

Thank you very much

See you later

Andi