performance problems

Florian v. Behr fvbehr at gmx.net
Thu Aug 19 17:23:23 GMT 1999

I just set up our new samba server running on a intel box with Suse
Linux 6.2 and Samba 2.05a. The test client which is connected to the
server right now is a Pentium 90 running Win NT 4 with Servicepack 4.
When I copy files from the client to the server it the progress
indicator hits the 100% really fast but then the computer freezes for
1-2 minutes. After this the operation is finished correctly. When I
check on the server the file size is the same as on the client even
before the client unfreezes so he is not doing anything. If I copy the
file back to the client (using the client) it is even faster and it
doesent freeze at all. Here is part of my smb.conf flie with the
setting  which have to do with performance.

; performance options
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
	oplocks = true
	fake oplocks = no
	level2 oplocks = True
	write raw = yes
	read raw = yes
	max xmit = 65536	;I changed these numbers but without improvement
	getwd cache = yes

TIA

Florian v. Behr
fvbehr at gmx.net