Solved! - Problem with system policies

Glen Gibb grg at ridley.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 18 11:40:20 GMT 1999

Hello all,

  A while ago I had problems with Windows95 machines not downloading
system policies when logging onto a domain (samba was serving the domain
logons).

  After wading through lots of MS documentation, and after carefully
examining my setup, I discovered the cause of the problem. The server
running Samba was losing master browser elections to two NT machines (my
os level was not set high enough). Even though the machines were logging
into the samba server, and executing a domain logon script located on that
server, they try to fetch the policy file from the master browser.

Glen Gibb
Ridley College