Question: HP LaserJet III

Jonathan Miller Jonathan.Miller at mvhi.com
Tue Aug 17 15:52:26 GMT 1999

samba at samba.org said:
> We have an HP Laser Jet III with the postscript add on.  We have been
> using the printer under samba for while, but every print job, there is
> a page that says %[LAST PAGE]% + other garbage.  Does anybody know of
> any hacks or fix's to get the printer / samba to get this system to
> not print that last page.

> Server = Linux Mandrake 6.0

Yes, I think this the same problem as we had with RedHat 5.2. There's a bug in
the /usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters/ps-to-printer.fpi file which causes error
messages from ghostscript to be sent to the printer.

I expect you'll have the same problem with mandrake since it's based on
redhat. I have been using a work-around for some time now.

Try changing the lines which used to say:
eval "$mpage_cmd | gs -q -sDEVICE=$GSDEVICE \
             -r$RESOLUTION \
             -sPAPERSIZE=$PAPERSIZE \
             -dNOPAUSE \
             -dSAFER \
             $COLOR \
             $EXTRA_GS_OPTIONS \
             - "
or something equivalent

to read:
eval "$mpage_cmd | gs -q -sDEVICE=$GSDEVICE \
             -r$RESOLUTION \
             -sPAPERSIZE=$PAPERSIZE \
             -dNOPAUSE \
             -dSAFER \