Re: Samba 2.0.5a: couldn´t set effective gid error

Branko Avramovski bramovsk at softhome.net
Mon Aug 16 17:34:02 GMT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Carsten Schoening <cschoening at gmx.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list SAMBA <samba at samba.org>
Sent: Friday, August 13, 1999 6:43 PM
Subject: Samba 2.0.5a: couldn´t set effective gid error

> Hi together,
> I´m heavy dealing with a strange behaviour of my samba server. When I
> try to log on with smbclient -L <sambahost> -Usmbuser
> I get an error message: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password -  name/password
> pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
>
> smbuser exists in both the passwd and the smbpasswd and is assigned to
> not have a password.
>
> In the log.smb (loglevel 3) I find the following:
> ..
> Account for user ´smbuser´has no password and null passwords are
> allowed.
> ..
> ACCEPTED: session list username and given password ok
> ..
> Couldn´t set effective gid to 101 currently set to (real=0,eff=0)
> ..
> Can´t become connected user!
>
> If I do the same as root (smbclient -U root) I get:
> ..
> Registered username root for guest access
> ..
> ACCEPTED: session list username and given password ok
> ..
> Connect path is /tmp
> ..
> Couldn´t set effective gid to 0 currently set to (real=0,eff=0)
> ..
>
> testparm is ok, smbd and nmbd are running.
> I didn´t find any answers on the net.
> So, does anyone know, what is going on here????
>
> By the way: I can´t even see the samba server from my Win98 client in my
> little peer-to-peer-network. Could this have the same reason?
>
> Carsten

I have  same problem. I've already posted a message but I didn't get any
suggestion. My samba server is running on Suse 6.0 - Intel platform. Also I
can't compile the sources.
Are you using a binaries or you have compiled samba by yourself? And what
system are you running samba on. I'm having samba 1.9.18-?? and it is
running almost a year on the same machine sharing 2 printers and 1 disk on
the network (the machine is internet gateway and firewall for small network
trough dialup connection) . On a Redhat 6.0 samba 2.0.5a is working fine but
it will be a shame to change all the settings and a system just to upgrade
samba.

Branko