Samba High Availability

Michael Robinson mrobinson at sdli.com
Mon Aug 16 09:12:47 GMT 1999

At 05:18 14/08/99 +1000, you wrote:
>Date:   Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:56:03 -0400 (EDT)
>From:   Benjamin Suto <ben at amvalue.com>
>To:     samba at samba.org
>Subject: Samba High Availability

Sorry I'm a little late with this info.

We use to Sun Sparc workstations with a dual-ported Sparc Storage Array
linked between them. The software which controls who (in terms of system)
has control of the disk groups is Veritas Volume Manager. High Availability
is handled by RSF-1 (www.rsi.co.uk/products/rsf/) which monitors 3
independent heartbeats and will initiate failover when one system dies. It
will run init.d / rc.d type scripts to start the services on the backup
machine and so in theory anything which can be started in this way will be
capable of being failed over to a backup system. A Linux version is
available (free for non-commercial use).

Mike Robinson

>We're using Samba, and it's working very well, however I'm interested in
>finding out what approaches would work for having some sort of
>redundancies in place in case the main server crashes.  Is there anything
>in place for Samba in order to have some sort of backup in place in case
>the main server crashes.
>
>The reason is that the server is critical to the company's business, and
>the few outages we've had (due to reasons other than Samba) have shown us
>the need for some redundancy.
>
>If anyone has any information or any ideas on how to go about this, please
>reply.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ben

----------
This e-mail is intended for the addressee named above. As this e-mail may
contain confidential or privileged information if you are not the named
addressee or the person responsible for delivering the message to the named
addressee please telephone us immediately. The contents should not be
disclosed to any other person nor copies taken.

Michael Robinson
Network Administrator
Direct line:    +44-1376-505409

SDL Integrated Optics Limited