Samba 2.0.5a: couldn´t set effective gid error

Carsten Schoening cschoening at gmx.net
Fri Aug 13 16:42:05 GMT 1999

Hi together,
I´m heavy dealing with a strange behaviour of my samba server. When I
try to log on with smbclient -L <sambahost> -Usmbuser
I get an error message: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password -  name/password
pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

smbuser exists in both the passwd and the smbpasswd and is assigned to
not have a password.

In the log.smb (loglevel 3) I find the following:
Account for user ´smbuser´has no password and null passwords are
allowed.
ACCEPTED: session list username and given password ok
Couldn´t set effective gid to 101 currently set to (real=0,eff=0)
Can´t become connected user!

If I do the same as root (smbclient -U root) I get:
Registered username root for guest access
ACCEPTED: session list username and given password ok
Connect path is /tmp
Couldn´t set effective gid to 0 currently set to (real=0,eff=0)

testparm is ok, smbd and nmbd are running.
I didn´t find any answers on the net.
So, does anyone know, what is going on here????

By the way: I can´t even see the samba server from my Win98 client in my
little peer-to-peer-network. Could this have the same reason?

Carsten