ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (Solaris 2.6)

Frans Stekelenburg f.stekelenburg at acriter.com
Fri Aug 13 14:43:33 GMT 1999

Hi,

I'm having a problem with one of the servers, an Sun E450 Solaris 2.6
box, that after some time it will no longer be able to send out LDAP
requests to the LDAP server.

The response to every ldap query is:
    ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server

Checking the netstat output I see a lot (over 300) of TIME_WAIT state
request to the ldap server:
    r0104su03.34321      mailhost.389          8760      0  8760      0
TIME_WAIT

We have running  Samba version 1.9.18p10 with LDAP support 'hacked-in',
so that's the one who makes most of the requests.
This particular server has a pretty big audience to serve, yet it should
be able to handle them. (< 200)

So far the only most effective, yet unwanted, remedy is a reboot.

When I restart Samba it will still not let me do LDAP requests. Even
though I see the amount of requests in the netstat output drop after
some time.

Is there another way of resetting these ports/requests or the network of
this box (we manage it remote, so we don't want to shut ourselves out).
Are there maybe some (kernel) tunables that can be set to raise a
threshold?

The LDAP server itself still runs fine. Also other E450's, there are
about 20 equally set up, still function fine.

Help!

Frans Stekelenburg
Acriter, Intranet Facility Services