HPUX shared memory creates error

Phillip Link Phillip.Link at alcatel.fr
Wed Aug 11 08:42:36 GMT 1999

Hello all,

The problem
-----------
I've been trying to install the latest samba distrib (2.0.5a) on a hpux
10.20 machine, but the connection times out, apparently because of
shared memory access.

Trying to make an smbclient connection (or using the windows nt explorer
to connect generates the following log.smb (smbd launched as smbd -D -d
4):

[1999/08/11 10:14:28, 4] locking/shmem_sysv.c:(544)
  Trying sysv shmem open of size 1048576
[1999/08/11 10:14:28, 0] locking/shmem_sysv.c:(597)
  ERROR: root did not create the semaphore
[1999/08/11 10:14:28, 0] locking/locking.c:(169)
  ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes!

This causes the client socket connection to time out (no answer from
smb).

The context
-----------
The hpux machine's kernel was just reconfigured to use more semaphores,
and that seems to be the problem, but I can't figure out exactly why
samba is not working.

This also happens when using the binary hpux package (2.0.4a) downloaded
from samba.org.

This problem is connected to Luc STEENHUYSE VAN DE VELDE's posting on
Wed, 01 Apr 1998 (forwarded by Jeremy Alison), and other posting
concerning the SEMMSL "Semaphore problem on HPU-UX" Tue 31 Mar 1998.

I am not an expert on HP, however, and I do not know exactly how to
attack the problem.

Diagnostic
----------
I have been able to install samba on an (almost) identical machine and
have it work, and the only differences seem to be (as viewed from SAM's
kernel configuration):

number of shared memory identifiers (shmmni) 200 works, while 256 does
not.
MAXUSERS macro (maxuser) 32 works, while 128 does not.

If anyone knows how to fix this, *please* tell me what to do.
If this is a bug, I would certainly be available to help investigating
further with some guidance.

Thanks in advance,

Phillip.Link at alcatel.fr