Printing problems

cbrink cbrink at allsportssupply.com
Tue Aug 10 23:26:22 GMT 1999

I can think of 2 problems.

1. JD's only take one session. so when your Win boxes try to get a queue
list (by asking Samba and samba doing an 'lpd') the win machine will hang
since the lpd request will not be answered by the JD until it is done with
it's current printjob.

Solution: in smb.conf change the lpq command to 'echo "No Entries
Available"' this unfortunately is a limitation of JD's

2. If you JD's respond after being reset (i.e. pulling the plug on EX's)
then look over your Unix printing system. Something is amiss and it is not
handling time-outs from the JD correctly (i.e. back to the above problem.
lpd sends a printjob the JD is busy with that and then lpd gets another
print job from another queue to that JD and tries to print and gets no
response from the JD due to it being involved in the other printjob)

HTH

Christian Brink
cbrink at allsportssupply.com