fake oplock idea

Manfred Spraul manfreds at colorfullife.com
Fri Aug 6 09:50:16 GMT 1999

what's the speed difference between the old fake oplocks and the new
level II oplocks for read-only executables & other read-only files?
On my server, around 80% of all files will never change, but the other
files can change.

What about adding a "will never change"-user/group to smp.conf?
e.g. on my server, all files with owner root.root, mode 644 will never
change, so there is no need to verify oplocks, file locks & share
semantics before allowing access.
(or I could add a new group "rdonly", and all files owned by
"root.rdonly" will never change)

Regards,
	Manfred