Samba & Network Neighborhood

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at rain.org
Fri Aug 6 05:12:11 GMT 1999

On 6 Aug 99, at 5:23, Ken Gerdes <gerdes at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Everything is fine.  The workgroups are the same.  I don't
> understand the WINS server thing...can you explain what I need to
> do?

You just say "WINS support = yes" in your smb.conf, and put the samba
box IP address in the windoze network properties.  Then you don't
need an lmhosts file anymore.

> The biggest problem I have is that my server is on DHCP, which
> causes the IP address to change frequently, meaning I have to
> change my lmhosts file on every Windows machine.  Any way around
> this annoyance?

(see below)
I'm not sure you can use WINS if your samba box is a DHCP client,
without a pretty clever hack with shell scripts or something (unless
you want to try and integrate samba with DHCP at the source level).
The simplest thing would be to go get a static IP address (there are
other static resources out there).  This is normally what you do with
any kind of server, and I'd classify a linux/samba box as more of a
legitimate server than windoze.  If they don't want to give you one,
then go get a baseball (or cricket) bat and try knocking the windoze
crud (and FUD) out of their head(s).  It works for me.

Steve

PS. Of course, I'm kidding, but sometimes I'd like to...