NT4 access help

Rutherford, John (Library) Rutherford at mail.ccsu.edu
Fri Apr 30 21:45:23 GMT 1999

I have installed samba 2.0 on a solaris 7 system. Install seemed to go
fine.

I read the FAQ on testing connections. I can use the smbclient to
connect from the localhost using a valid unix username.

smb.conf used for testing is:

   [tmp]
      comment=temporary directory
      path = /tmp
      read only = yes
      valid users = jdr
      user = jdr

testparms works ok

 ./nmblookup rutherford_nt
Sending queries to 149.152.255.255
149.152.94.56 rutherford_nt<00>

seems ok.

 ./smbclient -L wilson -U jdr
Added interface ip=xxx.yyy.22.11 bcast=xxx.yyy.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0
Password:
Domain=[MYGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.0]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        homes          Disk
        tmp            Disk      temporary directory
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 2.0.0)
        xxx            Disk      Home directory of xxx

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        WILSON               Samba 2.0.0

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        MYGROUP

also seems to be ok.

I tried changing the NT registry as described in the docs using the
supplied .reg file.

But when trying to map with net use I get:

C:\TEMP>net use l: \\wilson\tmp /User:xxx
The password is invalid for \\wilson\tmp.

Type the password for \\wilson\tmp:
System error 1240 has occurred.

The account is not authorized to login from this station.

A net view yields:

C:\TEMP>net view \\wilson
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

The nt name of this PC is "rutherford_nt"

The account on the unix box is "xxx"

I would like to be able to establish a share by specifying the
user without it having to be the same name as the nt systems.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

John Rutherford, obvious new user.