german umlaute win95 client vs. Linux-Samba file server

Ralf Christmann rchristmann at zh.unipektin.ch
Fri Apr 30 06:47:11 GMT 1999

Hello,

I've a problem known especially to german speaking users (and other
nationalities using special characters).
I'm using Samba 1.9.18 and a linux 2.0.35 kernel
I want to create a directory or file with a name containing german umlaute
from the win95 client
so that I can see it on the linux machine with the equal characters I've
used under win95.
On the win95 machine the new added file (or directory) with this special
characters seems to be good, but when I'm looking
on the linux machine I've file or dir names with questionmarks instead of
the special characters???

I know about valid chars, character set and client code page. I've tried a
lot but nothing seems to help.
I've also tried a solution with validchr.exe program under dos like it is
proposed in the docs from tino at augburg...
Also I've changed export LC_ALL=de_DE in the bash. But no success.
Did somebody (especially users from switzerland or germany) get rid of the
problem.
Or could somebody else help?

Thanks a lot.

Ralf