Outlook file Corruption

Kirk Patton kirk.patton at amd.com
Wed Apr 28 19:19:44 GMT 1999

Hello,

I had sent a past note on problems I had while running Samba 1.9.18?

I upgraded to 2.0.3, and the problems with the curruption seemed to lessen somewhat.

My current configuration is an Auspex file server serving files via nfs to the samba server.  The samba
server is running on Solaris 2.5.1.  The clients are mostly NT 4.0 and some win 95 clients.

I have noticed that the writes are nearly 2 1/2 times slower when going from NT => Samba => Auspex versus
NT => Samba => local disk.  I looked through the docs and found some mention of the performance issues on
a configuration such as mine.

I am wondering if that configuration,(client => samba => nfs), could be the source of my corruption
problems with Outlook.  Is there something that happens with the samba => nfs with the Outlook files?
Any ideas from anyone?

Could it be that samba on Solaris 2.5.1 in this particular configuration is the culprit?

I will be testing a linux box as a replacement samba server.  I am also considering running samba on the
Auspex server directly to see if the write performence increases.

If anyone has any experience they would like to offer that could be of help, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kirk

--
Kirk Patton