Timestamps on DOS cmd.exe file copies

Brian Bender bbender at vocollect.com
Tue Apr 27 14:08:27 GMT 1999

Apologies in advance if this is in a FAQ somewhere, but I've looked &
lurked for a while and not found anything...

I'm using Samba 2.0.3 on a RedHat 5.2 box to serve a mixed MS network
(Win9x, Windows NT) (but testing with my NT4-SP4 notebook).

I have a share where "dos filetimes = True" (also tried with this false)
and "dos filetime resolution = False".  Let me know if there're any
other relevant settings that will help.

When I use Windows' GUI tools (Explorer, Norton File Manager, etc.) to
copy a file to the Samba share, the timestamp is copied correctly, but
when I do it from a shell (cmd.exe, 4nt.exe), the timestamp is changed
to "now + 6 hrs" (I believe this is related to timezone issues, I can
figure that out on my own, I don't think that's the problem I'm asking
about).  Does anyone know why I'm seeing this difference in behavior?
Is it a known bug that I just missed in the docs?  Can I fix it (so far
I haven't built the latest version, just grabbed the 2.0.3 RPMs, but I
can certainly do that if necessary).

TIA,

 - Brian Bender
 Vocollect, Inc.