Can't smbmount with samba-2.0

B. James Phillippe bryan at terran.org
Mon Apr 26 15:30:20 GMT 1999

Hello,

I have a script on a production system at work that mounts an NT-exported
share for NFS re-export to some NFS-only clients.  The system was RedHat-4
and samba 1.9, and used the following style command line (names have been
changed to protect the innocent :-)

smbmount //host/share /mnt/point -c HOST -U user -P passwd \
	-u nobody -g nobody -f 666 -d 777

Now the system has been upgraded to RedHat-5 and Linux-2.2, the latter of
which requires samba-2.  The command line above no longer works (or is even
accepted due to changes in aguments).  However, even if I invoke the new
smbmount as:

smbmount //host/share /mnt/point -n HOST -U user

I get instead:

Added interface ip=192.168.x.x bcast=192.168.x.x nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Mon Apr 26 08:25:03 1999
Timezone is UTC-7.0
Session setup failed for username=user myname=HOST destname=SERVER
ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
You might find the -U, -W or -n options useful
Sometimes you have to use `-n USERNAME' (particularly with OS/2)
Some servers also insist on uppercase-only passwords

I've tried playing with casing and using the -W and -N options.  What am I
missing?

-bp
B. James Phillippe		. bryan at terran.org
Software Engineer, WGT Inc.	. http://www.terran.org/~bryan