HP Deskjet 1000c

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sun Apr 25 20:09:58 GMT 1999

On 25 Apr 99, "Thomas Cameron" <tcameron at three-sixteen.com> had
questions about HP Deskjet 1000c:

> I have Samba 2.0.3 running like a champ on a dual PPro 200, 128 MB RAM,
> running Slackware 3.6, kernel 2.2.5.  Running like a champ as far as file
> sharing is concerned, that is.
>
> I have an HP Deskjet 1000c hanging off the parallel port.  I set up a raw
> printer in /etc/printcap, the line looks like this:
>
> dj1000|DeskJet 1000c:sh:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/dj1000
>
> the printing section in smb.conf looks like this:
>
> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /usr/spool/samba
>         print ok = Yes
>
> The print jobs make it, and start coming out the printer, but where ink
> stops getting laid on paper, the form stops.  I guess I need a form feed.
> I tried making my printcap look like this:
>
> dj1000|DeskJet 1000c:sh:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/dj1000:mx#0:ff=\f
>
> which should force a form feed, and set the max print size to anything.
> This didn't work.
>
> How do I force a form feed after the last page?  Is it a Samba thing, or a
> Linux thing?

It looks to me like it's a linux thing, ie, smbprint is only used
for remote smb printers.  And I couldn't see anywhere in the
smbprint script that handles that stuff.

I'm not sure how slackware does it (I gave up on slackware and
debian a long time ago) but redhat uses a generic magic filter
(if=...) along with ghostscript and nenscript to handle printing
chores.  They also have a nice X-based printtool widget to
configure printers.  The redhat setup does not use the printcap
option to handle formfeeds, but has a line in the magic filter for
that (user-specified) option.  There are seperate config files for
postscript and ascii, and each one has a SEND_EOF option.  The if
script (a bash shell script) detects the setting, and if set to
yes, sends it as an ascii code with printf "/014".

I'm not sure why the ff printcap option isn't working for you; you
can try changing the string it sends and see if that helps.  Or you
can use a filter to send the proper escape sequence (I assume the
HP knows PCL?).  For the netware queue, I had to do the double
printer thing described in the HOWTO (where one printcap entry runs
a filter, but then re-directs the job to another printcap entry
that sends it to the remote queue via nprint).  You shouldn't have
to go that far though...  Have you tried printing various files
from the linux side?

The linux printing HOWTOs are a little dated, but still have some
good info.  There is also printing info in the smb HOWTO.  You
might want to play around with some of the debug stuff mentioned
there, or maybe check out the APS filters, lprng, etc.  I barely
have a clue about this stuff, even after my experience playing with
custom filters for netware queues, smb printers, local printers,
etc.  My advice would be to read the above HOWTOs, the man pages
for lpd, lpr, printcap, etc.  Most of all, poke around on your
system and look at the config files, filter scripts, etc, and try
various options.

If you want to be properly tortured, you have to show the proper
desire and motivation... ;-)

Hope this helps, Steve