Setting up SMB Server

Adam Schrotenboer ajschrotenboer at lycosmail.com
Sat Apr 24 22:16:36 GMT 1999

In the docs there is a reference to a nonexistent section, 1.4.x, which
is supposed to have information for setting up shares. I cannot find
this section in any of the FAQ's I have, and would like some help.

I am able to access other SMB servers (Win98), but unable to allow them
to access me.

The computer is listed on the other computers, but I cannot make them
browse. I have set up a guest account, and tried that pwd.

Anyway, Win98 says that a password is req'd for \\Server\$IPC, and I
tried a number of different pwds, the ones I set up for these accounts,
and I am always told that that is the wrong pwd. Encryption is turned on
in the smb.conf, and after each change in smb.con I run samba restart.

Anyway, I am totally lost as to what to do.

I am running a RedHat 5.2 setup w/ kernel 2.2.6 and Samba 2.0.3