Urgent! Win95 browser problem

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Thu Apr 22 22:17:56 GMT 1999

At 02:25 AM 4/23/99 +1000, Hongwei Li wrote:
>We have a very strange problem with samba.  We have a Linux box
>(Slackware 3.3, kernel 2.0.3) and samba-1.9.17p4.  Samba has been
>running well for a while (more than half year) without any problem.  Our
>NT and 95 users can mount the home, shared directories and printer on
>the linux machine without any error message.  We have a NT server 4.0 as
>PDC and smb.conf sets security = server and the NT server as password
>server.
>
>Since this morning a very strange thing happens.  None of Windows 95
>users can see the Linux shared directories/home/printer any more, but
>all NT users can still see them without any problem.  The error message
>for Windows95 users is:  "The share name was not found. Be sure you
>typed it correctly."
>
>There is nothing wrong with the share name because nobody changed it and
>NT users can still see them.  I reboot the Linux and Windows 95
>machines, but no luck. Can somebody give me any idea/suggestion to fix
>the problem?  Thank you!

Hi,

If you are not running Samba with verbose logs, set the logging level to I
believe it is 3 and then check the logs. The troubleshooting docs detail
the process. Try doing a net view \\<the Samba server> to see if you can
see the shares on your server from your Win 95 clients.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation
3266 Yonge Street, Suite 1419