Arrrgh, stuck in MYGROUP

Chris Watt grimm at mad.scientist.com
Wed Apr 21 23:39:10 GMT 1999

Just to be clear about this from the beginning, the lines:

workgroup = yanlan
local master = yes
os level = 65
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes

All appear in my smb.conf and I am using samba 2.0.3

For some reason I seem to be unable to make the samba server believe that
it should ble in the workgroup yanlan, e.g. when I execute
"smbclient -L familysys"
I get:

Added interface ip=10.0.0.6 bcast=10.0.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        PRINTER$       Disk
        RAVEN          Printer   Raven LP-410
        ADMIN$         Disk
        FAMSYS_C       Disk
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        FAMILYSYS            The Family System
        MURPHY               The system that can go wrong

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        MYGROUP              TITO
        YANLAN               FAMILYSYS

Where TITO is the Samba server mentioned above.
Needless to say the upshot of this is that I cannot browse tito (or it's
little brother lnbox) from the Network Neighborhood of any Windows box on
the network (I _can_ access them through "find computer" or the dos NET
command).

I understand that "MYGROUP" is supposed to be the default value if the
workgroup is not specified, is the workgroup option broken? If so, can
anybody tell me how I may be able to get around this (I'd rather avoid
changing the workgroup on all the windows machines if possible).
--

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.