Error when I tried to install Samba 2.0.3

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue Apr 20 20:01:44 GMT 1999

When the world was young, mikael.markus at se.abb.com carved some
runes like this:

> I am a beginner on Linux and are trying to update Samba on my Linux Red
> Hat 5.2 computer. When I tried to run ./configure from Samba-2.0.3 I get
> the message

> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
>
> I have downloaded http://se.samba.org/samba/ftp/samba-2.0.3.tar.gz and
> extracted all the files on a temporary directory on my Linux machine. It
> is a Intel 486.

It looks like you haven't installed the C development packages
(gcc, libs, etc).  If you're short on disk space (and can't install
the required packages) then you should be able to find an rpm
binary of samba for your system.

IMHO, you should always find room to install the gcc stuff; my
wife's computer is a 486 with only a 250 meg linux partition, but
it has all the basic development stuff (except for all the X-devel
crap).  However, it's not running samba (it's just a client on the
network).

Unless you really need the new domain stuff in samba 2.x, the stock
RH52 version of samba (1.9.18p10) works great; although it's never
a bad idea to compile your own packages from source, it can be a
bit daunting at first (it still is to me:)

If you have X working, run glint from an xterm to see the installed
packages.  You can then remove the ones you don't really need.

Steve