Network connections/username/password/gid

Kevin Sage ksage at panther2.amd.com
Tue Apr 20 16:49:31 GMT 1999

I'm running Samba 2.0.2 on HP-UX 10.20.  Everything seems to work fine, except
that sometimes, after an MS Word 97 document has been left open for a while
(several hours), trying to save or save as causes Windows (NT 4.0) to pop up a
message saying that the network connection has been disconnected, and to
reconnect or reinsert the floppy.  Generally, clicking "retry" has no effect.

The odd thing here is that the timeout parameter in Samba is set to 0, so the
network shouldn't be disconnecting, and in fact if you switch to another
application, it is in fact connected to the same network resource...

The only interesting things that are appearing in the log (log level=2) are the
following:
1) [1999/04/20 08:29:36, 2] smbd/service.c:(268)
   Invalid username/password for ksage
2) [1999/04/20 08:29:46, 0] smbd/uid.c:(104)
   Couldn't set effective gid to -24 currently set to (real=0,eff=0)

Samba is set to security=domain and is authenticating through our NT PDC (no
smbpasswd file).  The passwords on NT and UNIX are the same, as are the
usernames.  Despite all the invalid username/password errors, I can connect to
any service that I'm supposed to have access to and all the permissions seem
correct.  This is happening with multiple accounts.  In this case, the GID
should be 32146.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin