Printer Questions

adam adam at du.edu
Tue Apr 20 14:03:16 GMT 1999

Hello and thanks for indulging yet another printer question.

Here at the University of Denver we have formally announced that laptops
will be a requirement for all incoming freshmen in the Fall. I have been
charged with the task of finding a solution for printing (accounting,
quotas, and managing roaming users). I've decided, for now, to use Samba
with an eval copy of printXchange (this will be part of Digital Unix
4.0f and >). I'm testing with DU4.0dPatchKit8 and Samba 2.0.3.

My biggest problems are these:

1. My WinNT4.0sp3 clients will not print. The setup dialogues complete
okay, but when a job is sent by dragging and dropping I get the
following message: "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax
is incorrect." I've checked all permissions (the spool directory, the
printXchange executables) and cannot figure it out. My Win95 clients
seem to print okay. What's up?

2. When my Win95 clients send a job, the job is attributed to the
hostname. What I'd really like to see are jobs attributed to individual
usernames. Is this possible? I need to do accounting/quotas/billing for
print jobs.

I appreciate any examples, hints, and RTFMs you might throw my way. I'll
summarize.

Thanks,

-adam
unix/nt sysadmin
University of Denver

Here's my smb.conf:

[global]
   netbios aliases = test public
;   remote announce = <snip>
   wins server = <snip>
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /local/samba/lib/printcap
   load printers = yes
   guest account = nobody
   null passwords = yes
   mangle case = no
   case sensitive = no
   default case = upper
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   status = yes
   debug level = 0

   allow hosts = <snip>
   security = user
   domain master = no
   local master = no
   preferred master = no
   os level = 0

   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   read prediction = yes

;  You will need a world readable lock directory and "share modes=yes"
;  if you want to support the file sharing modes for multiple users
;  of the same files
lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
share modes = yes

   include = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.test
   include = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.public

[homes]
   comment = Home Directory
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   create mask = 700

[printers]
   path = /tmp/samba
   auto services = zx
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700
   guest ok = no

[zx]
    comment = test for printExchange w/ samba
    path = /var/spool/pd/argus_spl
    postscript = yes
    browsable = yes
    printable = yes