Pb: browsing list

Jean-Luc LE BLIGUET Jean-Luc.Le-Bliguet at cerene.fr
Tue Apr 20 10:13:24 GMT 1999

Hello,

I wanted to view a AIX box as a WinNT box, so I downloaded the file
samba-1.9.17p3.aix-3.2.5.tar.gz to install samba on the unix machine
(IBM RS6000). It runs AIX Version 3. My client machine runs WinNT
4.00.1381 (x86 Family 6 Model 1 Stepping6).
Samba is now installed on /usr2/local/samba. There are some symbolic
links on /usr/local/samba that point to the corresponding files in
/usr2/local/samba. This is done like that because I have not enough
space on /usr.
Attached with my message is a zip file which contains the config files
of the installation and some log files.
Until now samba is runned using a script (startsmb). It seams to work
but I noticed the following messages in the file log.nmb:
"adding IPC service
services not loaded"
and
"Checked names
Can't open wins database file /usr2/local/samba/var/locks/wins.dat
Loaded names
Can't open lmhosts file /usr/local/samba/lib/lmhosts
Loaded hosts file"

I tried to browse the network from my WinNT box, but I couldn't see the
AIX machine. I began to read the DIAGNOSIS.txt and execute the tests:
test 1        OK
test 2        OK
test 3        NOT OK
test 4        OK
test 5        OK
test 6        OK
test 7        NOT OK

"smbclient -L argon" answers the following:
"Added interface ip=200.200.200.4 bcast=200.200.200.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
Session request failed (131,129) with myname=ARGON destname=ARGON
Not listening for calling name
Try to connect as another name (instead of ARGON)
You may find the -n option useful for this"

I read the files in docs, and browse comp.protocols.smb, but it didn't
help.
I would appreciate if you could give me any clue, and thank you
beforehand.

Jean-Luc Le Bliguet