Slow response from Samba shares

Ken Smith ksmith at barton.ca
Mon Apr 19 16:16:01 GMT 1999

I have a RedHat 5.2 machine running Samba 2.0.3 (running perfectly, I might
add) using Domain logins with an NT PDC.  My problem is:

shares on NT and Win95/98 machines show up almost instantly (even ones with
many files in them) but when I select the share of a LARGE
directory on the Samba server it takes up to 3 minutes before it displays.
If I then change shares and come back to the large directory it once
again takes up to 3 minutes to view the directory.  This share was
originally on an NT and the display time was almost instantaneous.  Any
ideas
on how to speed this up???

Ken Smith
ksmith at barton.ca