Problems compiling Samba 2.0.3

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sat Apr 17 23:13:19 GMT 1999

On 18 Apr 99, Jan Kratochvil <short at ucw.cz> had this to say about
Problems compiling Samba 2.0.3:

> As I see the thread growing about pointless problem, attached is a hack
> diff to fix it. But either "jrubio" has system on fire or the new
> configure system is not flexible enough and should be updated.

I was hoping someone knowledgeable would bail me out of this one 8-)

After poking around on my system at home, I found the following
references to MAP_SHARED:

In samba source:

server.c:    PROT_READ,MAP_SHARED,fsp->fd_ptr->fd,0);
shmem.c:     MAP_FILE | MAP_SHARED,

Nothing in the include files in the samba source, but I did find the
following in the linux source tree:

in /usr/src/linux-2.0.36/include/asm-i386/
mman.h:#define MAP_SHARED       0x01            /* Share changes */

in /usr/src/linux-2.0.36/mm/
mmap.c: * MAP_SHARED r: (no) no r: (yes) yes r: (no) yes r: (no) yes
mmap.c:   case MAP_SHARED:
mmap.c:       if (flags & MAP_SHARED) {

nothing in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.7.2.3/  or
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.90.29/

So I'd guess you don't have the kernel-headers installed (either
that, or it really is on fire:)

I haven't used gcc 2.8.1 under linux yet, but it seems to work fine
on win32 (no header or lib problems yet anyway).  Have you compiled
a kernel on this system?  If not, you should.  It'll tell you
whether your includes are setup right, and also detect problem
hardware (through the dreaded sig11, sig6, etc).

The patch is a kind of a "quick and dirty" fix (no offense;).  It's
probably better to find and fix the root of the problem (otherwise
it'll just bite you somewhere else later).

Hope this helps, Steve