Problems compiling Samba 2.0.3

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sat Apr 17 17:18:08 GMT 1999

On 17 Apr 99, jrubio <jrubio at edei.es> had questions about Problems
compiling Samba 2.0.3:

> I have a problem when I compile Samba 2.0.3, the next error message is
> generated doing "make":
>
> Using LIBS =
> Compiling locking/shmem.c
> locking/shmem.c: In function `smb_shm_open':
> locking/shmem.c:921: `PROT_READ' undeclared (first use this function)
> locking/shmem.c:921: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> locking/shmem.c:921: for each function it appears in.)
> locking/shmem.c:921: `PROT_WRITE' undeclared (first use this function)
> locking/shmem.c:922: `MAP_SHARED' undeclared (first use this function)
> make: *** [locking/shmem.o] Error 1
>
> The "configure" is OK, my Linux Kernel is 2.0.35 and my gcc  is 2.8.1, It
> is the first time that I have a problem when I compile.

It sure looks like you're missing a header file where the above
identifiers are declared.  I'm certainly no C whiz (although I
*did* get an A in my one and only C class last semester - I had a
good teacher); it's either missing from the samba source or your
gcc libs.  Check and see where your gcc is reading the specs from;
maybe it's looking in the wrong place.  Are you running linux, and
if so, what kernel?  I'll poke around on my system and see what I
can find.

Steve