8 char passwd limit. (PR#15633)

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Fri Apr 16 16:34:01 GMT 1999

gary.burton at soton.sc.philips.com wrote:

> I have installed Samba 2.0.3 on an Hp 10.20 File server.
>
> I can happlly mount from my NT box using AccountA , but not AccountB.
> The difference is that AccountB has a passwd length of nine chars. When
> I change it to eight it works.
>
> I switched on debug and have masses of output if anyones interested.
>
> Is this  8 char limit configurable anywhere ?

This is a problem with HPUX having bigcrpyt available
in libc but no using it in the /etc/passwd file.

For the moment you can fix it by commenting out the
HAVE_BIGCRYPT line in configure.h after config, and
I've added a fix for this in the (not yet finished)
2.0.4 release.

Hope this helps,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.