how to add /etc/passwd entries to smbpasswd

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Fri Apr 16 03:00:09 GMT 1999

On 16 Apr 99, "Ameet Chaubal" <achaubal at admin.tavsnet.com> had
questions about how to add /etc/passwd entries to smbpasswd:

> How do I add all the users from /etc/passwd to the smbpasswd file.
> I am looking at smbpasswd man page but couldn't figure out the passwd
> entries.

I think the easiest thing would be to run without encrypted
passwords, but with "update encrypted = yes".  This will update
smbpasswd as each user logs in.  When everyone's password is
updated, you set the above switch to "no" and set encrypted
passwords to "yes".  Otherwise each password will need to be added
manually.  The makesmbpasswd script just creates a blank smbpasswd
file with all the user info, but no passwords.

There may be some user-contributed scripts to help automate the
process (if you don't want to do the update encrypted thing) but
someone else will have to speak up on that one.

Steve

Steve Arnold                            sarnold at earthling.net
                                 http://www.rain.org/~sarnold
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons.  You should
also recycle yourself.  Become an organ donor 8-)