Performance Problems (VisualStudio)

Vincent Chen vince at rti.com
Thu Apr 15 18:17:33 GMT 1999

All,

Please help me defend Samba.

We are having major performance problems when using VisualStudio
to build projects.  The source lives on the server, and the intermediate
files are dumped locally to try to speed things up.

One of the engineers downloaded a demo of NetManage/Chameleon NFS and
it was significantly faster.  Here are some numbers:

            samba-1.9.18p8  samba-1.9.18p8   samba-2.0.3  ChameleonNFS
              No oplocks        oplocks        oplocks
Project "A"  30 minutes      31 minutes      24 minutes    9 minutes
File "A.cxx"  na                  na             25sec       10sec

Those are drastic differences.

With 'oplocks' on, we are having problems of WinNT clients picking
up changes made on the server.  Yes, I have read the note here, but
we *are* running Samba on IRIX 6.2 with kernel oplocks ON.

Please send reply to vince at rti.com.  Thanks for any help!!

-vince

Here're some sys info.

Server: IRIX 6.2 on 4-processor Challenge M
        Samba 2.0.3
        NFS 3

smb.conf:  (global section)
[global]
        workgroup = MYGROUP
        server string = Samba Server
        comment = Samba %v
        printing = bsd
        printcap name = /local/applications/samba/lib/myprintcap
        load printers = yes
        allow hosts = @rtinet
        log file = /local/applications/samba/var/log.smb.%m
        max log size = 50
        dead time = 15
        read prediction = yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        oplocks = yes
        dos filetime resolution = True
        strict locking = no
        locking = yes
        lock directory = /local/applications/samba/var/locks
        share modes = yes
        keepalive = 30
        read size = 65536
        max xmit = 65535
        default case = lower
        wins support = yes
        dns proxy = yes
        case sensitive = no
        preserve case = yes
        short preserve case = yes
        mangled names = no
        mangle case = no
        security = share

Log file contains entries like:

[1999/04/14 21:08:29, 0] smbd/nttrans.c:(1838)
  call_nt_transact_ioctl: Currently not implemented.