Samba 2.0.3 and Printing Problem

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Thu Apr 15 00:02:06 GMT 1999

When the world was young, jrubio <jrubio at edei.es> carved some runes
like this:

>  I upgraded my old version of samba (samba 1.9.16p9) to samba 2.0.3 and I
>  have found some problems, and I don´t Know to resolve them.

I assume you know that some of the default smb.conf parameters
(such as the security level) changed from 1.9.x to 2.x (if you want
the same behavior, you'll have to adjust a few things).  Look
through the 2.x changes and see if anything tickles a synapse.

[snip]
> Now, I have more information:
>
> - My Samba 2.0.3 is a compiled Slackware Distribution.

Depending on the age of your kernel (and which distribution) you
may need to compile it yourself (and maybe a kernel too).  In
general, both are better options anyway.

> - The spool directory is "/tmp" by default, I changed it to "/print"
> throught the ´path´ command in the smb.conf file but it doesn´t work, the
> spool directory is "/tmp" before and after it.

Can you explain that one in more detail?

> - If I print the file "/etc/hosts" (for example) with the 'smbclient'
> command I have the next message:
>    "ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.) opening remote file hosts-239"

The above message makes me think you have an auth problem.  Is the
printer share guest accessible, and if so, what are you using for a
guest account?

Does linux printing still work fine?  Have you tried different
printing options in smb.conf (ie, bsd, sysv, etc)?  Have you gone
through the diagnosis steps since the upgrade?

Just trying to muddy the waters a bit ;-)

Steve