Invalid network name in tree connect

Brett Dikeman brett at artelsoft.com
Tue Apr 13 22:59:05 GMT 1999

Can't connect to my newly-set-up Samba server from any machine in my
domain, or from the machine itself.

Network numbers/names replaced to protect the nervous :)

Anyway, the NT server I also tried from claims that "login not
allowed from this workstation."

I've got the allow statement set up to allow any machine in my subnet
to try and log in.

The machine is configured to use our NT domain controller(NT 4.0) to
get passwords(ie, DOMAIN)

What on earth is a "tree connect"?

[someuser at xyz /etc]$ smbclient //xyz/big/
Added interface ip=x.x.x.x bcast=x.x.x.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Domain=[XYZ] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.2]
tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRinvnetname (Invalid network name in
tree connec
t.)

Thx!
Brett