Encrypting passwords for NT

Tony Drolson TDrolson at sfaids.ucsf.edu
Mon Apr 12 22:41:18 GMT 1999

I am trying to use Samba 2.0.3 with encrypted passwords. I have everything
set up according to the instructions in encryption.txt, and can authenticate
into NT 4 Server shares with smbclient. I can also attach to my smb server
using either smbclient or Win95. But NT4sp3 won't browse or connect.

That I can connect to external NT shares would seem to indicate that samba
is correctly sending encrypted passwords. Additionally, when I try to enable
NT4sp3's clear text passwords using the registry, it still fails to connect
to my samba server (The remote procedure call failed 1726.).

Also, I cannot join the domain; when I try to smbpasswd -j (domain) -r
(PDC), NT complains that can't authenticate. I have run through all of my
documentation and don't see anything similar in any of the newsgroups.
Anyone have ideas? Where else can I go?

Tony Drolson
Director, Management of Information Systems
UCSF Positive Health Program
San Francisco General Hospital