"Error 0" bug tracked halfway. Help needed

Vsevolod Ilyushchenko simonf at interna.ru
Mon Apr 12 12:09:06 GMT 1999

Hello,

This is probably a question to developers. If nobody responds, I will go
the
developers mailing list and bug you there. :)

A while ago I have posted a question here about why my Samba gives the
message
"Error writing file: code 0". Nobody answered, so I have tracked down
some
stuff. (Someone recently noted the same bug on HPUX.)

My Samba is 2.0.3. I am writing a file via smbclient from a slow (486)
2.2.4
Linux PC to a faster (P 200) 4.0SP4 WinNT PC (this does not happen with
Win
95). The Samba code does the file transmission via do_put() in client.c,
which function prints the above error if it returns a different value
from what was passed inside it. In my case, the returned value is LARGER
(69616) than the requested (65536). Weird.

Now I am getting inside cli_write() in clientgen.c. AFAIU, MID is some
kind
of ID for packets sent during the transmission of one 65536 bytes block.
The
function cli_write() first sends stuff and then begins to receive