Samba 2.0.3 and NT/9x

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Fri Apr 9 22:30:46 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Martin Mielke <martin at jaleo.idecnet.com>
carved some runes like this:

[snip]
> For both WinNT and Win9x, the solution to connect to a Winbox,
> regardless if it the Samba server has the 'security = user' option set or
> not, goes through modifying the registry files on each PC. That wouln't be
> a major problem under a reduced enviroment but a time-consuming task under
> a bigger one. This makes me face the following question: could Samba
> manage all this work somehow? It is easier and faster to set up a single
> machine rather than 100... I think you already get the idea.

I believe there are windoze utils to allow remote updates to the
registries of client machines, but they require NT server to run
them.  Check the M$ update/software download pages on their web
site.  The only other alternative would be to use encrypted
passwords (which isn't too hard).  Win98 wants them, as well as
NT4SP3 and above, and win95 with the vredir update.  I don't think
samba could do the NT remote administration thing without some
serious documentation from M$ (yeah, like that'll ever happen).

Regards, Steve

(hey, do they have Aguila in the Canarias?)