home directories and macros

Carey F. Cox carey at tabasco.lamar.edu
Fri Apr 9 21:57:00 GMT 1999

Is there a macro for the home directories of users which would basically
provide the same service as the environment variable $HOME?

The reason i am asking is that I want to setup the user "homes" share
so that it accesses a directory within their home directory so as not
to mix dos and linux files. For example...

	/home/%u/.samba

would be the path for the homes shares and would thus keep these files
separate from the linux files. The simple solution is given in the
documentation. However, I have users whose home directories do not
fall under /home, i.e., /staff/carey. The above would not work in this
case. Samba has no problem finding different base directories for "homes,"
so there must be some kind of macro to specify the home directory.

Thanks,

Carey

<>   Carey F. Cox, PhD             |  PHONE: (409) 880-8770           <>
<>   Assistant Professor           |  FAX:   (409) 880-8121           <>
<>   Dept. of Mech. Eng.           |  EMAIL: carey at tabasco.lamar.edu  <>
<>   Lamar University              |  WEB:   N/A                      <>