Problems with long passwords (PR#15488)

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Fri Apr 9 16:21:52 GMT 1999

thoree at hrp.no wrote:

> After upgrading my Samba-servers to version 2.0.2 I experience some
> problems. If a user has a password with more than 8 characters he/she cannot
> connect to Samba-shares. As soon as I change the password to a password with
> 8 or less chars everything is OK. Any ideas?
>
> I am running HPUX 10.20.

This is a known problem with Samba 2.0.3 and below and
HPUX 10.x. The problem is that the HPUX libc contains
bigcrypt, which Samba wants to use by default. The problem
is that the password hashes in /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow
are hashed with crypt, not bigcrypt.

This will be fixed in 2.0.4 (due soon).

Sorry for the problem,

Jeremy Allison,