Setting up print services?

David DeLauro daved at saintjoe.edu
Wed Apr 7 20:37:31 GMT 1999

Can anyone help???

I have been trying to get printing from a windows machine to the samba
server to work...but I just can't seem to get it...

my /etc/printcap.smb file looks like this:

#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
smb:\
        :cm=Samba Printer:\
        :lp=:rm=131.93.0.249:rp=PORT1:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/upstairs/:\
        :lf=/usr/spool/lpd/upstairs/errs:sh:
#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my smb.conf file looks like this:

#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[global]

  printing = bsd
  printcap name = /etc/printcap.smb
  print command = lpr -r -P %p %s
  load printers = yes
  log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
  lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks

[printers]
  comment = Samba Printer
  path = /var/spool/lpd/upstairs
  browseable = no
  printable = yes
  public = yes
  writable = no

Does there seem to be anything wrong with these configurations?

I can print while logged into the samba server itself but when I try to
print from a windows machine an error pops up that tells that the
solution to this problem it to reboot the machine.  That doesn't work.

Thanks for your time.

David DeLauro