NT access problems:

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sat Apr 3 21:59:16 GMT 1999

On 3 Apr 99, "Laura S. Tinnel" <ltinnel at cs.utk.edu> had questions
about NT access problems:

[snip]
> NT is the only remaining problem. It cannot access anything on Linux
> through Network Neighborhood. First off, as soon as I double click on the
> Linux machine's icon, it immediately prompts me for a userid/password even
> though it is sync'd up with the Linux side. This is annoying, but I can
> live with it. The real problem is that when I type in the
> username/password, I get the error message: The account is not authorized
> to logon from this station. I don't even get a list of shares. I get
> nothing. I've checked the smb log file and there are no entires. I've also
> checked the syslog and there's nothing there either.

With user level security, I think you'll have to map the NT
hostname to a valid username in smbusers (even if the NT account
name matches the linux account name).  The only catch is, the
mapped name will no longer be able to access the samba shares
directly (which is probably not a problem for an NT hostname).

Also, there's a goofy NT4SP3 feature that requires an open
connection before NN browsing (of the samba shares) will work.

So:  for each user who will login to the NT machine to access the
samba shares, add an entry to the smbusers file mapping the linux
username to the NT hostname.  Then, login to NT and open a command
prompt and do a Net Use command (use the username switch) to map
one or more shares as local drives.  You should then be able to
browse all samba shares from NT Exploder.  If you make them
permanent connections, then you won't have to do this every time.

It may be that NT will still prompt for a password the next time
you login and browse to a samba share (or it may not).  I've seen
both behaviors on the same machine...

Hope this helps, Steve