Old Samba 1.9.16p9, NT 4.0 SP3 & NT 4.0 SP4, read-write problems

Colin Brooks cbrooks at nature.berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 2 19:39:36 GMT 1999

Hello list.  I've been running an old version of Samba (1.9.16p9) to give
read-only access to my Digital UNIX 4.0B workstation hard drives (the share is
called "rootdir").  It's worked great for over 2 years for that purpose.  I
finally want to give read-write access to 2 users (myself and my assistant).
Her computer has NT 4.0 with Service Pack 3.  Mine has NT 4.0 with Service
Pack
4.  The networking setup appears to be the same on both NT machines.  We can
both connect to the read-only share.  She can connect to the new read-write
share just fine, and the Unix file permissions are obeyed (ie, she can only
write or delete files in directories where she has ownership).  If I log on
using her machine, I can also connect to the read-write-share (called
"sharegis").

However... (I think people can see this coming, eh?)... when either of us try
to connect to the read-write share using my machine (using NT with SP4), we
get
the message:
"\\Hopland\sharegis is not accessible.
The account is not authorized to log on from this station."

At one time (in 1997), I did have read-write share called "colcon" that worked
fine in on my NT machine... but it does't work anymore (it's the commented out
below).

Attached below is my smb.conf file.

What should I do?  Should I upgrade to Samba 2.0.3?  Should I remove SP4
(which
I tried to do earlier today, but ran into some problems)?  Should I pray for
the end of Microsoft?

Thanks in advance,
Colin

; Configuration file for smbd.
[global]
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   guest account = guest
   workgroup = hrec
   wins support = yes
   wins proxy = yes
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   hosts allow = 169.228.93.
   max log size = 25000
;  This next option sets a separate log file for each client. Remove
;  it if you want a combined log file.
   log file = /usr/local/samba/log.%m

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

;[colcon]
;   comment = connection for cbrooks
;   path = /
;   valid users = cbrooks
;   browseable = no
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
;   createmask = 0765

[rootdir]
   comment = Root directory on hopland
   path = /
   read only = yes
   public = yes

; The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that two
; users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users. In
this
; setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have the
; sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended to
; as many users as required.

[sharegis]
comment = For Colin and Nancy GIS share
path = /
valid users = cbrooks nwright
public = no
writable = yes
printable = no
create mask = 0765

*****************************

Colin Brooks
GIS Analyst
Integrated Hardwood Range Management Program (IHRMP)
University of California, Berkeley
Hopland Research & Extension Center (HREC)
4070 University Rd.
Hopland, CA 95449
Primary #'s (at Hopland) - TEL:(707)744-1270  FAX:(707)744-1040
Secondary # (at Berkeley) -  TEL: (510)643-1136
E-mail: cbrooks at nature.berkeley.edu
IHRMP Homepage - http://danr.ucop.edu/ihrmp
HREC homepage - http://endeavor.des.ucdavis.edu/hrec
GIS homepage - http://www.pacific.net/~cbrooks/gis1.shtml