NETATALK support removed in SAMBA 2.0.3?!

PayPC System Mail Subscriber spammail at quanta.paypc.com
Fri Apr 2 08:02:24 GMT 1999

I've just done a:

./configure --with-netatalk --with-mmap --with-ssl --with-quotas

on my Linux 2.0.36/intel server...

built samba 2.0.3 [release] successfully
testparms is happy, my WinDoze clients are working smoothly (good job, Samba
dudes!)

I notice the netatalk.c file never gets compiled, doing mass-grep's (in all
source/lib directories) on WITH_NETATALK don't show any matches, except
within the netatalk.c file itself, doing mass-greps on the ntalk_xxxx
routines within netatalk.c don't turn up any matches at all... and grepping
the smbd binary for "AppleDouble" doesn't show any matches either.

So... has this been removed [no mention of it in the FAQs or Changes logs,
only that the support was ADDED sometime back in August]?  Bad CVS check-in
or merge?  What's the story?

If anyone knows what happened to this functionality and/or how to restore it,
please let me know.  I'd greatly appreciate an e-mail
(mailto:spammail at mailgate.paypc.com) as this digested list makes it difficult
for me to find replies to messages.

Two other questions:

1) Are the Samba folks intending to add copyfile() [file to socket/socket to
file, and in some incarnations, file-to-file(?) at the kernel level].  I know
Linux 2.2 and the new FreeBSD have them.

2) How well does the nt acl support work?  The language in the man page
sounds pretty harsh.  I don't use samba as a domain controller, or link its
permissions and security model with an NT server's in any way [one of the
happy things samba is allowing for us, is to eliminate all NT Servers from
our network YAY!].  I'd just like for "modern" permissions control, rather
than the skanky DOS read-only/system/hidden stuff.  I just want for NT
clients to be able to set group/user permissions "normally" on the samba
server.

=R=