(Long) Newbie Question on Authentification w/ 2.0.3 & PDC

Mark Schoonover schoon at amgt.com
Fri Apr 2 03:50:14 GMT 1999

Thanks for Reading!

	Installed 2.0.3 with remote browsing and as a domain member per the
docs. All is going just fine, but I have noticed something interesting
about authenticating against the PDC. I have created accounts on the
UNIX side ( Slack 3.5 , kernel 2.0.36 ) with temp passwords. The account
names on the Linux side match the usernames on the NT side, but the
passwords are different. I have created the appropriate groups on the
Linux box, and through SWAT, have assigned the correct groups for write
and read access to the shares. From all the docs I've read - which is
about all of them - I was under the impression that passwords on both NT
and Samba had to be the same! This is clearly not the case, unless I
delete the username on the Linux side or take the username out of the
group, then samba reports:

[1999/04/01 19:27:20, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1365)
  domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user podunk in
domain AG to Domain controller FOO. Error was NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWOR

As long as the username on Linux is there, then no matter what the
password is it will allow access to the share. Is this by design or did
I royally mess things up??

Thanks again!

.mark

 Mark Schoonover KA6WKE	           IS Manager
 Trail Runner,HAM	             schoon at amgt.com
          ka6wke at wb6dgr.#sca.ca.usa.noam
 http://www.qsl.net/ka6wke       ka6wke-1 145.05
               Mobile: 146.52 & 28.470
   Long: 32.85380 Lat: -117.00980 Grid: DM12LU