Unwanted Browselists

Michel michel at nijenrode.nl
Wed Sep 30 10:13:06 GMT 1998

Michael Kohne wrote:
>I do not believe this to be possible - The protocols samba runs under are
>kind of designed to make everyone visible to everyone. You can make the
>samba server software win local browse master elections with a parameter
>change. If you then modified the server software you could arrange a way to
>eliminate some machines from the reported browse list. I do not believe
>that filtering of the browse list is currently part of the software, but it
>wouldn't be that hard to add, with a little work.

Unless someone is already fooling around with this, please let me know;
otherwise I'll play with that myself... it sounds to that it is what I need...

>You could put the clients you don't want to deal with on another 'subnet',
>but then there is a lot of work you'd have to do in order to make sure they
>could see everything they should, and it wouldn't prevent them from seeing
>one another.

Actually the shares that I do not want to see (which are all from
workstations in the student dorms) are in seperate subnets... But since
samba is configured to collate browselists between subnets (since
there are subnets that I do *not* want to exlude) they show up the
network neighbourhood... My knowledge of the browsing mechanism is
limited, but unfortunately so is a lot of the documentation one can
find about this... =/ 	If there's a really simple way to prevent
shares showing up from one single seperate subnet, that that would
be fine too... How?

>My question to you is: Why? Why would you want shares to not show up in the
>browse list? I'm curious because I'm afraid you are trying to make things
>not show up as a 'security' measure. If so, you should know that just
>because it isn't in the browse list, that doesn't mean you can't get to it.
<snip>

No, not as a security measure....

>Of course, you might just want to clean up an overly large browse list, in

Exactly; the browselist is just becoming too large.. and I don't want to bother
others with some ppl offering their own personal MP3 file. It's not that
I don't allow the students to offer that - that's their responsibility....
It's just that I don't want it in the browselist..... It's starting to
get very messy.

Michel.

  Michel van der Laan	-	michel at nijenrode.nl
				http://www.nijenrode.nl/~michel