Problems keeping file up to date !

Klaus Troeger klaus.troeger at de.origin-it.com
Wed Sep 30 06:49:54 GMT 1998

Hello,

our environment:   Sun Sparc 10/20 with Samba 1.9.18p8
                   Configuration with no printer support
                   WINS/DNS resolution enabled
                   NIS home directorys

Our Problem:  If a user modifies a existing file (created on his/her pc) on
              his/her sun using standard UNIX text editors and accesses this
              file afterwards on his/her pc with the connected Samba network
              drive (especially with application "notepad"), he/she sees only
              the "old contents" of the file (but with actual modification
              date/time) before the change on the UNIX platform.

              Sometimes this effect could be cleard by viewing the file with
              another windows application.

              I have already tried to force writing with option "sync always",
              but this seems not working !

Any clues, how to correct this behaviour !

Thanks in advance

Klaus

---
 | Klaus Troeger, ORIGIN IT Deutschland GmbH |  Tel.: +49 911 9702 1355    |
 | Dept. TCSS, UNIX-System-Administration    |  Fax.: +49 911 9702 1257    |
 | MailTo: klaus.troeger at de.origin-it.com    |  D2  : +49 172 6405669      |
 | Privat: klaus.troeger at erlangen.netsurf.de |                             |