Start and stop the samba server

Christopher Kranz clk at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Sep 25 21:04:51 GMT 1998

Christophe Dumont wrote:

> This is a simple script that kill every process linked to samba, and run
> samba again.
>
> kill -KILL `ps -ef | grep samba | awk '{print $2}'` 2>/dev/null
> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
> /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D

I have discovered that if you kill the smbd and nmdb processes that have the
parent process id of 1, all the child processes go away as well.  At least
this has been my experience with Solaris 2.5.1.

> But, if you change the smb.conf file, samba will re-read it with no problem.

Hmm, this may be true for any new connections that are made after you change
smb.conf but what about existing connections?  My understanding is that
established connections will not see the changes.  This may be important if
you are changing something like 'allow hosts', 'dead time', or 'socket
options'.  Anyone know for sure?

	Chris
--
Christopher Kranz        |   Systems Programmer   | clk at CS.Princeton.EDU
35 Olden St., Room 211   | Computer Science Dept. | Voice: 609-258-1747