SAMBA digest 1822

Dan Stromberg strombrg at nis.acs.uci.edu
Fri Sep 25 20:36:33 GMT 1998

I generally like sun, but sun really blew it on this killall thing.
They took a standard name for something really useful and made it do
something other than what it should.  Fearing the "don't change it
unless there's a REALLY GOOD reason" ideas at sun, I fear this may never
get fixed now.

ISTR there are some sun folks on this list: Please, sun people, please
fix killall?  It should work like on irix and linux?  It's really going
to confuse irix and linux (and other?) people who move to solaris.

Personally, I wrote my own killall, and tucked it in a directory on my
path ahead of the broken sun one.  But I'm always a little worried
someday my path'll be set wrong, and I'll get a truly weird effect from
running the wrong program.  I'd remove the broken sun one, but I suspect
something depends on it...